Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Author Presentation Reflection

What is an author? How is authorship defined? These are the two biggest questions that I had before my presentation on “the author.” Although I did not get a clear-cut answer to either of these questions I definitely learned that not everything is black and white but this is not always a bad thing.
This presentation taught me that because of the advances in new media the definition of who is an author had changed. Because in today’s society remixing and collaboration of author and user has become much easier new pieces of “remixed” art are becoming more and more popular. When an artist remixes a previous work with their own original work though issues arise about how is the actual author. It is a grey area. It was interesting today to hear the class’ opinions about what makes an author an author and also what makes an author “good” and “original.”
I also thought it was interesting that many students feel that remixes and even electronic music should be in their own category of music. I agree that an artist who solely remixes others peoples work should not be in the same category as a composer. However, this is not to say that both are not a certain type of artist or that one is better than the other, rather just different.
Learning about “the author” has really changed by ideas about what is art, why it is considered to be art, and who is an artist and why. Even though I came out of this presentation with more questions than I had coming into it I feel that I have learned a lot also.

No comments:

Post a Comment